Friday, August 12, 2016

DIY : Paper rolled pens

The other day my gel pen got over while doodling something and I was in urgent need of the black gel pen.The nearest store fellow tried to sell me couple of new branded pens as he did not stock pen refills. I inquired in few other ordinary shops and to my surprise none of them had refills. When the cost of refill and the pen are almost the same, people would more likely to buy new pens rather than buying a refill. Ever thought what would happen to your old pen? You would either hoard it, throw it or if you are eco conscious and old fashioned like me, you would put a new refill. I have seen many people around me buying new pens on a whim. Finally I got my pen refill at a stationary shop.
I remembered seeing these paper pens in few craft stalls that I frequented in the past. I decided to make these pens at home, try and use it myself. These are cute and you don't have to feel guilty when the ink is over.

Paper pens
Things you need.
Pen refill, Paper. The thickness of the pen depends on the thickness of paper. If you are using newspaper strip, you need a long one as they are thin. I used the paper bag's paper which was slightly thick.
Glue, scissors, ruler, pencil/sketch pens.

Cut out a rectangular shaped paper whose height is that of the pen refill(width is approximately 30 cm).

Draw a slanting line from the top left corner, to the right side like shown below. This is for tapering of the pen, to get cone shaped tip for the pen. Cut the paper along the line.



Lay the pen on the left edge and firmly glue the refill onto the paper initially. This step is the only tricky step and if you do it correctly then your rolling would come out perfect.



Start rolling and apply glue at the end of the roll.



To make the cap, take a rectangular strip(height less than half length of the pen, width less than half of what you had taken for the pen).



The diameter of the cap is slightly more than the pen. Take the pen and start rolling the strip to the other end of the pen. Do not roll tightly and you should be able to remove the pen in the end.

Apply glue to one end of the rolled cap and press it hard to close it. Let it dry.


My pen was simple but you could finish it with a strip of nice gift wrapping paper to make it attractive.




Please note that this may not be appropriate for students who have heavy writing work but more suitable for casual use.


4 comments:

  1. That's a nice idea!! Your pen looks artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey nice DIY Vasudha. Has come out neat and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies for your sweet words.. Please forgive me for my late response -:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Article was really good thanks for the Information! I still see my relatives are still cow dung cake using.
    If you are thinking that these poor lots are still living in the dark ages, you’ll be surprised how progressive some of these village people are."

    ReplyDelete